Sturgis is a welcoming community to raise a family, retire or to get away to some of the greatest fishing, hunting and outdoor adventure near the Porcupine Forest!
Need Loans Advise Support?
The Town of Sturgis invites applications for an office assistant.
This full time position will be Monday - Friday, 7hrs/day, starting May 1, 2017
Those candidates that have taken the LGA Course or equivalent education and experience will be given preference.
The ideal candidate should have the following knowledge in Office procedures, Computers, Public Relations
A detailed job description is available at the town office.
Please submit your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations by mail, fax or email by 4:00pm April 5, 2017 to:
The Town of Sturgis Box 520 Sturgis, SK S0A 4A0 Phone -306-548-2108, Fax 306-548-2948
Only those considered for an interview will be contacted
Job title: Curator/Manager
Institution/Organization: The Sturgis Station House Museum provides its visiting public an enjoyable and educational experience through display of artifacts and archival materials that reflect the physical and cultural environment of Sturgis and its surrounding community from early pioneer settlement to the mid-20th century.
Location: Sturgis, Saskatchewan
Salary: $13.50 per hour
The period of employment will commence from approximately May 19st, 2017 and run until Sept. 3th, 2017. The successful applicant will be expected to work 5 days per week (30 hours) with either Sunday/Monday or Monday/Tuesday off.
Deadline for applications April 19th, 2017.
Submit applications to: Sturgis Station House Museum
P.O. Box 255
Sturgis, Sask. S0A 4A0
Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description: Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Assume responsibility for Museum’s artifact and archival collections including a working knowledge of all Museum policies and procedures.
- Accept new items for the Museum collections with the final approval of the Museum’s Acquisitions Committee. Document, research, inventory, accession, catalogue, computerize and digitize images (where possible), and clean and maintain items for their storage or display as necessary.
- Identify collections strengths and weaknesses, and seek to improve both from an ongoing acquisitions and de-accessioning program.
- Maintain all paperwork according to current operating Museum standards and procedures (donor and in-house records), and other general correspondence.
- Create displays, organize and promote collections to expand community interest.
- To arrange, promote and conduct museum tours, access by appointment as necessary and assist with museum events as required.
- Perform visitor services and other administrative duties as required, including gift shop sales, guest book, seasonal visitor statistics, tracking volunteer hours and accounting for monetary donations.
- Handling research requests from Museum visitors, telephone, Internet, email or mail.
- Attend workshops to increase knowledge of museum procedures
- Acquire and expand historical knowledge of local areas, and add any pertinent information and their sources, to general history files.
- Train and supervise a summer student (dependant on funding) and complete employers Summer Student Works (SSW) follow-up report at completion of (SSW) position.
- Supervision of volunteers for interior of museum maintenance and/or ongoing projects.
- Prepare and present Annual Curatorial Report for SaskCulture (Museum Grant Program) Grant, including seasonal statistics, accomplishments, activities and events, etc.
- Attend a Sturgis Station House Museum board meeting(s) as requested.
- Perform all duties associated with winter storage of Museum textiles, photos/negs/computer/printer & ink to Town Office and any other associated tasks.
Skills and Requirements:
- Good communication skills, excellent penmanship and writing ability
· Working knowledge of Museum Policies and Procedures
- Positive attitude and self-motivated
- Be familiar with “Standards of Saskatchewan Museum’s”
- Experience an asset.
BUILDING PERMITS are required when doing any renovations or development.
- Please inquire at the town office.
- Please ensure your house is numbered and visible.
Please notify the office if you have changed your phone number so we can contact you when needed or in emergencies.
PET & BUSINESS LICENCES for 2017 are now due. If your pet is reported running at large, without a licence, barking, defecates on public or private property other than its owner fines will be implemented. Failure to pay your fees will be put on your property taxes.