Sturgis is a welcoming community to raise a family, retire or to get away to some of the greatest fishing, hunting and outdoor adventure near the Porcupine Forest!
2017 Curatorial Assistant Position
The Sturgis Station House Museum is now accepting student applications to fill the position of Curatorial Assistant for the 2017 summer season. The period of employment will commence from approximately June 13th, 2017 and run until August 31st, 2017. The successful applicant will be expected to work 5 days per week (30 hours) with either Sunday/Monday or Monday/Tuesday off. Rate of pay is $11.00 / hour.
Duties & Responsibilities
Assist the Curator/Manager in a number of daily operational tasks and other planned programming activities and events for the 2017 operating season. Duties and tasks will include but are not limited to the following:
- Be responsible for the Museums’ grounds maintenance, as assigned by the Chairperson of the Building and Grounds Committee.
- Greeting and welcoming all Museum visitors and guests
- Ensure the safety of Museum guests, and the security of museum property and artifacts
- Provide Museum tour guidance, supervision and answer general inquiries
- Ensure accurate visitor statistics, handle gift shop sales and Museum monies
- Answer information requests (online, telephone or mail), and/or provide patron access to library and archival research
materials as required
- Assist with and participate in Museum programs and events including planning, promotion, publicity, advertising, volunteer recruitment and program delivery as required
- Clerical/computer responsibilities such as: collections inventory, data entry and backup, retrieval and filing of resource room records and “in-house” artifact/donor files, photo and document scanning, photocopying and printing
- Museum Cataloguing including: artifact handling, cleaning, inventory, numbering, description, data entry, location recording and digital photo documentation
- Assist with exhibit/display preparation and installation as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the Curator
- Interest in or knowledge of local and area history
- Good interpersonal/communication skills and ease in dealing with the public
- Computer literacy (MS Excel & Word), proficient writing and research skills
- Organizational and time management ability
- Creative, artistic abilities and physical fitness are considered strong assets
- No previous experience required
Applications may be mailed to: Sturgis Station House Museum, Summer Student Works, P.O. Box 255 Sturgis, Sk. S0A 4A0 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline for applications, May 31st, 2017.
BUILDING PERMITS are required when doing any renovations or development.
Please notify the office if you have changed your phone number so we can contact you when needed or in emergencies.
PET & BUSINESS LICENCES for 2017 are now due. If your pet is reported running at large, without a licence, barking, defecates on public or private property other than its owner fines will be implemented. Failure to pay your fees will be put on your property taxes.